Friday, April 22, 2011

21st Century Literacy Skills in my Work

21st Century Literacy Skills in my Work

Many of the original courses from when the company began were not of sufficient depth to meet current standards. Additional, there were states that changed and/or added to the thoroughness of their standards. At that point, I changed hats and became an editor.
Initially, I wrote Social Studies curriculum, but when I began editing, I worked on the high school English courses. It was necessary to go through to edit and add on to the existent courses to bring them up to date. In doing so, it was also essential to add a great deal of interactivity to the courses. Videos and movies of required reading were added to support resource and ESOL students. More challenging interactive games like “jeopardy” were added for the advanced students. YouTube videos of presidential debates were added to courses that required students to compare different time periods. There were pictures of authors that could be clicked on to “hear” them read their own works.

No comments:

Post a Comment